Saturday, August 25, 2012

Working With The Youth

If you don't follow me on twitter , you may not know this- but I work for Student Support Services (SSS) as a mentor and tutor to undergraduate students at Chicago State University (CSU). We  are part of TRiO, which caters to first generation college attendees, low income and minority students to help them complete an undergraduate degree with all possible support such as counseling, mentoring, tutoring, financial assistance, and relevant topic- workshops. This job is so fun, exciting and fulfilling because I get to work with a variety of people with various backgrounds, ages, etc. I always connect with many students that have very tragic histories and have endured a lot, often times, within just 20 or so years of life. I use this job as a platform to spread the Gospel of the Kingdom of God. I'm always asking God to help me be able to reach more people and for Christ to work within me so that those who are called by Him can hear his voice and know that they need Him to transform their hearts.

Since last week, we have been processing new admits and there are so many students, of all grade levels, coming into the program. I worked over the summer, so I got to sit and meet with many of the new students. One young woman, age 24, is a senior at CSU and she has 2 children (boy and girl), ages 4 and 2. She came in with a newly admitted friend of hers, inquiring about the program. I was explaining the benefits of SSS and she was joking that because she is a senior, it may not be very beneficial to her. I went on to do more paperwork, yet because I always observe my surroundings, I could see that she was very kind & accommodating to everyone that had come in, smiling & making everyone laugh at her jokes. 

However, I knew there was a heaviness in her heart. I cannot explain how I knew it, I just did. There was a restlessness within her & a mask covering the pain she felt. God was pressing me to speak to her about Him. I called her out into the hallway and began speaking with her one on one. She revealed to me that she was molested several times throughout her life and that her father practices necromancy, divination among other forms of sorcery (Deuteronomy 18:10-11). I look forward to speaking with her more about the Word of God & will personally work with her spiritually, outside of the workplace. 

I am so grateful that God has placed me in this position to help His children. I want no glory for myself & my entire goal, since I have worked with youth, has been to introduce them to Christ. I struggle with areas of separating myself from the world (being child of Christ yet working with the public and those of the world all the time, can make a person weary & it is imperative to always stay armored up - Ephesians 6:10-18 - so that Satan may not enter in your spirit). I just ask God to help me always remember to never get caught up with the world, crowding Christ out of my life (Mark 4:18-19). I love Christ SO much & I know that as His sheep, I am to represent who I believe in, follow, obey and honor. 

SO daily I pray that Christ seals me so that I am forever His & that those He leads me to speak to, the seed is dropped, in hopes it fell on good ground - receiving the word with gladness & bearing much fruit. 

Side-note: The young woman's name is Deborah - a prophetess, judge of Israel and wife according to Judges 4 in the bible. So what's in a name? According to the Word of God, names are extremely important & they foretell a person's destiny. I believe that this young lady, Deborah, can become a great woman in God's Will & His plan for her life. Let God Work!


No comments:

Post a Comment